Re: A. agassizi colour morphs

>got a couple of general questions that I'm sure have been discussed
>before but I can't remember the answers.  Firstly will males and females of
>different colour morphs mate with each other?  Secondly are the different
>colour morphs due to different geographical locations or are they due
>to breeding?  Finally I think I heard someone say once that wild agassizi
>produce all the different colour morphs, is this true?

Different color forms of A. agassizi will mate with each other and
produce viable offspring. I believe this is true even of the Rio Tefe
aggies, which have very different markings.

The different colors do reflect different geographic areas -- A. agassizi
has the widest distribution of any Apisto.

Uwe Romer, the source of much of my information about aggies, says that
wild agassizi will produce all the different colour morphs. I suspect
that domestic aggies will, too.

     If wishes were fishes we'd all have ponds.

Pete Johnson        San Jose, CA       petej@tlg.net