A. pand. & D. filament.

Hello folks,

Gary, I have noticed that for my nijsseni, the dark caudal spot can
take up most of the caudal peduncle (the area just before the
caudal fin) but does not seem to extend into the caudal fin itself
(male or female). In contrast, the pandurini caudal "spot" does
extend into the caudal fin.

By the way, you are definitely convincing me that your male could be
unique-sounds like you have a lot more experience with these things
than I do!

Simon wanted to know when his D. filamentosus (and I believe this list
should be supportive of all types of dwarf cichlids) would start to
show some sexual dimoprhism. I have bought them at about 1" and I
really didn't see the beginnings of tail fin extensions (male)
until they were at least 1 1/2 " (5-6 cm), in some cases even
larger. I was actually lucky enough to get mine to spawn for me,
and I now have 10 fry ranging from about 1/2"-3/4" (I gave 6 away
to someone really good, just to be safe). I am hoping the size
difference means I have both sexes, but when I can first tell, I
will let you know. Oh yeah, as soon as I moved the two pairs of
adults out of their tank, they all died. I'm sure they spawned for
me because they just knew they faced imminent death.

One last question- does anyone have A. piauiensis, and can they
easily tell the sexes apart? At one point I had seven in a tank,
and I was really having a hard time trying to sex them (I just
gave 2 away, and the person I gave them too was also having
problems). Not one consistently looks like the male piau shown
in the Aqualog book (the only pictures I have seen). I am
monitoring their ventral & dorsal fins, but if anyone has a
better suggestion please let me know.

Thanks alot,
Lisa