Re: ACA

Ed Pon wrote:

> Welcome back Mr. Apisto! Do you know if oscars make good dither fish
> when they're under 12 inches? I have found them to be fairly mild in
> aggression.
>
> What apistos were at the ACA?

(Though not directed to me, I'll respond.)

A couple of guys brought some interesting things. Jim from New England
brought trifasciata, pandurini, what he called a "new" pandurini,
hippolytae, bitaeniata, gibbiceps, and two or three other common ones.
Many were F1 or even F0.

Another guy from Brazil, "Marco," brought several "species"--most
labeled by location. I got a pair of his "gephyra" which are not, but
are probably pulchra. I also got from him a couple pairs of what he
called "Emerald Alenquer." I'll wait and see if they grow out to
anything interesting. He had more "species," but as you can see, I'm
skeptical of his labeling.

I had brietbinden, norberti, and puerto-narino.

There were a few others, but nothing that made me take note.

My friend, Tom Wojtech from Milwaukee, sold his Dicrossis macuatus
juvenile/fry at 3 for $20.

The auction was held outside in a tent because of double booking. It was
95 on Sunday. The tent had sides and air conditioning, but it was still
hot until late afternoon. Only a few fish were brought outside at a
time. Less fatalities than I had expected. I guess the auction ended
around 2 am. Prices were holding fairly well by midnight--when I left.
The motel was screwing up people's rooms (smoking vs. non, one bed
instead of two, had to transfer between Sat and Sunday, double booked
the auction room so we went outside, etc.).

Most of the speakers (and fish) were not geared for Apisto's/Dwarfs.
Heiko Bleher gave a long talk Thursday evening as the Apisto Study
Group's guest speaker. I think he went from 10:45 to about 1:30am, with
fish being the central part only after 1am.

- --Randy
+MAA-