Re:

>Hello cichlid people, I'm sorry this isn't about apistos.... I have a pair
>of nanochromis transvestitus living in a tank with some killies, and I want
>them to breed. Can I do anything , or is it just a matter of waiting. Any
>other tips (feeding etc) on this species welcome

Provide soft (20-60 ppm total hardness), acidic (pH 4.5-6.0) water.

Filter over peat.

Feed a variaty of foods including black worms (a relative of tubifex, so be
very careful.  They work wonders getting fish to breed, but they are
potentially a hazard if not handled properly.  You want healthy worms that
clump together in a tight ball.  Only feed them for short periods as a
trigger for breeding, and don't over feed.  Also, cut them up before
feeding them.)

Provide them with a cave such as a coconut shell, and leave some gravel in
the cave so that they can excavate it.  In the world of w. africans,
"Excavation means procreation!"

Mike
Dept. of Ecology & Evol. Biology, MS-170
Rice University
135 Anderson Biology Lab
6100 Main
Houston, TX. 77005-1892