FishNet Explore 97 - Diary - July 31, 1997

Diary - July 31, 1997

 This was my most challenging day so far.  We were going
about 20 kilometers by boat from Eirunepe, then 20 more
kilometers by foot to a new tributary of the Amazonas river
system that Heiko wanted to try.  This new tributary was
deep in the wild Indian territory and required us crossing
some very rough terrain.

 We started out with Heiko, Paola, me and four porters, one
of which was an Indian huntsman who knew the area well and
was familiar with the native tribes.  Heiko set a quick pace
which left me and the porters quite a bit behind.  After about 8
kilometers, we reached a small farm, the last such area
before getting into the deep jungle.  The farm was set next to
a beautiful stretch of canopy under which a small stream of
black water ran.  Heiko had been there long enough to fish
the stream for one hour before the porters and I made it there.

 Heiko and I discussed the fact that I was having trouble
keeping up with the quick pace and also that the porters were
having trouble keeping up carrying my things (like the
generator).  After a short conference, we decided that I would
stay at the farm for a day or so and that Heiko would pick me
up on his way back.  I was just not in any shape to hike 20
kilometers at the pace Heiko set.  He was expecting to make
the full 20 kilometers in just over a day.  This would also give
me a chance to try to work out the problems with the
equipment that has not allowed me to send any photographs
of my last three days' adventures.

 Heiko explained to the farm's family who I was and why I was
there, and they agreed to take care of me.  I fully expect to
use their son to help me explore the area tomorrow.

 This is a beautiful place - a little piece of paradise.  The
stream is fast running but has a place that is deep enough to
sit in with logs for chairs so you can sit in water as deeply as
you want. I have decided to dub this place "John's Jacuzzi"
and Heiko told me he would put it on his map of the trip.  The
water is cool and feels wonderful after my long hike.

 Tomorrow I will snorkle in "John's Jacuzzi" and check out the
fish types, of which there are many.  I will get lots of
photographs and work on my equipment.  Hopefully I will also
be ready for a fast 8 kilometer hike over rough ground back to
Eirunepe on Saturday.  We are going to another collecting
place then to hunt for the "mystery fish", the purpose of this
entire trip.

 == John ==