Re: Snails

gomberg@wcf.com wrote:

> On 08/22/97 at 01:51 p, IDMiamiBob@aol.com said:
>
> >plecos and algae eaters are out because of their
> >tendency to destroy eggs and other fish
>
> I think you will be pleased using Siamese Algae Eaters (SAE,
> Crossocheilus siamensis, see AFM April'96 page 58 et seq).  They are

Greetings. First time caller, long time listener. :) Anyways, From what
I understand, SAE, and CAE are two different species who's common names
are often mixed up due to the similarity of their name and appearance.
Anyways, as I recall, as young fish, they both eat only plant matter.
One of them stays relatively small, and continues to eat algae, while
the other one as it matures begins to feed on live fish, and grows to
about 6 inches. Unfortunately, I don't recall where I read this (I
readALOT about fish) nor do I remember which is which, but I'm sure
given enough time, iI could find out where I saw this (hey, my library
only has about 20 fish books!). If anyone else knows more about this,
please fill in the blanks I left (or correct me if I'm wrong.)
About Apistos: I only have A. cactuoides right now in a community tank.
I am hoping to eventually set up there own tank to breed them in, but
until then, they seem more than content to breed in the communty tank.
- -Aqua Girl
     _Who wishes she could defrag her head as easily as her computer.