Re: SAEs vs CAEs (was Snails) -- long!

Aqua Girl wrote:

>gomberg@wcf.com wrote:
>
>> On 08/22/97 at 01:51 p, IDMiamiBob@aol.com said:
>>
>> >plecos and algae eaters are out because of their
>> >tendency to destroy eggs and other fish
>>
>> I think you will be pleased using Siamese Algae Eaters (SAE,
>> Crossocheilus siamensis, see AFM April'96 page 58 et seq).  They are

SAEs are generally peaceful, but don't ever count on them to pass up a yummy
egg! They are big, fast and could intimidate most Apisto mammas.

>Greetings. First time caller, long time listener. :)

Not to me. I enjoy correcting Aqua Girl on *any* old list. ;-) Hi, again!

Anyways, From what
>I understand, SAE, and CAE are two different species who's common names
>are often mixed up due to the similarity of their name and appearance.

Very true. Flying Foxes are even more often confused with SAEs. Look at the
pictures in (any but really recent copies of) the Baensch Atlas (No. 1). The
Flying Fox and SAE photos were accidentally swapped. Only on the SAE does the
mid-line stripe extend clear to the notch in the end of the tail.

CAEs (Chinese Algae Eaters) are easy to spot, for the mid-line stripe is
jagged, like a checkerboard. Use that rough line as a warning equivalent to the
old skull and crossbones. Even the name is hype, for they come from India and
SE Asia -- not China.

>Anyways, as I recall, as young fish, they both eat only plant matter.

No, both tend to be omnivores, eating whatever they can find. Both eat some
algae and ignore others, but the CAE does become almost 100% carnivorous at
about 2-3" The SAE retains an appetite for greens, and a special willingness to
eat black algae (aka red algae) that is otherwise tough to eliminate. It's the
tough tuft-like stuff that grows on leaf edges, the glass, etc. in 1/2"-long
clumps.

BTW, much of the wall grazing you see CAEs doing is sucking infusoria out of
the green algae. Close observation will show that the algae is usually left
there. Even young ones eat very little of it.

The correct common name for the CAE is Asiatic Scale Sucker. They *will* kill
all fish species that sleep at night, by feeding on fins and surface slime
coat. The damage is slow and subtle, with most owners never catching on. Most
stores know they get a lot of repeat business if they can sell you a CAE.

>One of them stays relatively small, and continues to eat algae, while
>the other one as it matures begins to feed on live fish, and grows to
>about 6 inches. Unfortunately, I don't recall where I read this (I
>readALOT about fish) nor do I remember which is which, but I'm sure
>given enough time, iI could find out where I saw this (hey, my library
>only has about 20 fish books!). If anyone else knows more about this,
>please fill in the blanks I left (or correct me if I'm wrong.)

I'm trying! I'm trying!

My SAEs would be surprised at this. My three older ones are 5"+ and still
growing. They breed best at around 6-7", I'm told! Size is no divider of these
fish. Be aware that SAEs do not behave well, or do well, alone. They are
intensely social fish and should be kept in groups, in quite large tanks.

>About Apistos: I only have A. cactuoides right now in a community tank.
>I am hoping to eventually set up there own tank to breed them in, but
>until then, they seem more than content to breed in the communty tank.
>-Aqua Girl
>     _Who wishes she could defrag her head as easily as her computer.

Love it! Send me a bootleg copy of that Head-Defrag program when you find it!

Wright

Who is down to a "pair" of female agassizii reds (Peru F2) and not getting very
much production this way. :-(

PS I recently picked up 5 SAEs in a shop in Mt. View for about 75% of the
normal price. They were labelled as "Flying Foxes" and priced accordingly
(under $4). Study those pictures and watch out. Check Dave's reference. They
show up all the time -- even at discount stores!

PPS This stuff is interesting. Unless you let me know to the contrary, Aqua
Girl, Dave, and Bob, I would like to reprint some of it in a killy newsletter.
OK?

- --

Wright Huntley (510) 494-8679 Fremont, CA USA huntley@ix.netcom.com