Re: Anomalochromis thomasi

Phillip J Ryti wrote:

> To all,
> I recently purchased 5 Adult Anomalochromis thomasi.
> I am no quite sure of the sex of the fish I have.
> The dorsal fin on the fish all go to a point.
> One of the five is somewhat smaller then the other 4.
> They all are at least 3 inches or more.
> I would like to separate a possible "pair" into their
> own tank. Currently, all five are in a 15 gallon tank until my
> 45 is setup. Are there any distinct features to look for
> when trying to sex them like spots or body size??? What
>  I have read is somewhat vague. Anyone with some
> suggetions would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Phillip,
	I think the published info's vague because this is a widely distributed
species, and local forms seem to vary a bit. It's the 'uncommon cichlid"
problem, we can get them commercially, but without locations to tell us
which geographic form we have.
Thomasi's do vary.
	That being said, size is what I've used. It's an intangible - once you
have a pair, it's obvious they were a potential pair all along. I find
males bigger with longer extensions on the dorsal. I know that doesn't
help much.
	Mine spawned in soft water only (20-30 ppm). In a 10 gallon of soft
water, they spawned every 3 weeks. Back in 140 ppm tapwater, they shut
down completely. A slightly different looking thomasi belonging to a
friend spawns in tapwater, but has fewer fry. It's a complicated little
cichlid that deserves more attention.
	Oh yeah, I hope others have had a different experience, but of the 30
or so thomasi from 3 different sources I kept before I got  breeding
pairs, I could never get a spawn from big ones. Once I got them going,
it seemed only medium sized adults were productive. Good breeding medium
sized females, paired with big males, never spawned. Back with fish
their own size, they never stopped.
- -Gary