ph

Some years ago, fish vet Dr. Beverly Dixon ( I hope I got the name
right) spoke at one of our local clubs about a fish's immune system.  It
seems that aquarium maintained fish are probably almost always under
some kind of stress due to less than optimum water quality, unnatural
movements next the tank (people), and numerous other factors related to
being kept in an artificial environment.  It seems that most animals
produce a certain amount of vitamin C, but under stress, an animal may
not produce enough vitamin C to help bolster it's immune system. Dr.
Dixon suggested putting vitamin C in the fish's water to help the fishes
immune system.  I have heard her speak one more time since that time and
the topic never got back to vitamin C so I don't know if it's something
that she still suggests.

Anyway--I have tried using Vitamin C to acidify my aquarium water and
have not noted any ill effects.  I didn't use it long term, having gone
to the cheaper (phosphate-laden) swimming pool chemicals.  Not being a
chemist, I'n not certain of what I was putting into my fish tank with
the Vitamin C.  Does anybody have any comments about possible good or
bad effects of using vitamin C to acidify an aquarium?

In an earlier post, someone suggested that high phosphate levels may be
responsible for his fish deaths.  That's the first I've heard of that
and I find it quite interesting, because most people have a need to
acidify water for their soft-water fish, and the chemical additives that
are commercially available would not have been obvious to me as a
potential danger.  Does anyone have any information regarding the
toxicity of phosphates, or perhaps can cite more examples as described
in the earlier post?