Fwd: Re: Fwd: factors relating to growth

 This has
>been noted among tank breed angelfish. After several generation
specimens
>exhibit behavior totally different than their wild counterparts
including
>a tendancy to eat their own eggs and fry. In the wild this type of
uncontrolled
>agression would be bred out of the line by such fish being incapable of
>successful breeding while in a commercial hatchery the eggs are
routinely
>hatched and raised artifically and so even the worst specimen in terms
of
>parental care can and does successfully spawn time after time.

We see a lot of egg-eating from wild fish.  Actually most of the apistos
that I see are at most f2 from the wild.  Dr. Ronald Coleman lectured at
the PCCA at some time in the past and pointed out that his studies
indicated that cichlids seem to make some kind of decision on whether it
is best to eat the eggs and use the energy for a future effort at
reproduction when conditions are more in favor of raising fry to an
independent stage.  If there are not enough eggs, or if the fry count
has been decreased to a low number, it might be better for the fish not
to expend energy and risk it's life to produce just a small amount of
offspring who will pass on the genes.  I surmised from this that if
there is not enough cover, that a small fish like an apisto has a
lessened chance of successfully rearing fry to an independent stage, so
apistos in a tank that has lots of cover will more likely raise their
own fry.  My own observations, thus far, support this.

>The solution I have attempted, with uncertain results, to counteract
this
>disparity in feeding behaviors is to feed several small feedings in a
short
>period of time. Instead of adding as much food as the fish will eat in
2
>minutes,
>I add as much food as the fish will eat in 30 seconds over and over
again until
>some is finally falling to the bottom of the tank. This often results
in more
>food being eaten than would be in a single feeding. Also, with young
fry their
>intestinal tracks are so short that it is imperative to feed them at
least
>several
>times a day, and the more meals/day you can arrange the better.
>
>But don't take my word for it, Kaycy's the REAL expert in the
family....

>-- dj

I totally agree with this.  When I was in school and had more free time,
this was the tact that I used to get growth on fish.