Re: Fish Vision (was Re: No-luck Nannacara)

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Mike Henshaw wrote:

> I once thought about taping some red acetate to the glass of a tank for
> similar purposes, but when i asked a fellow who used to study fish, he said
> that fish have very good color vision similar to our own.  Upon reflection,
> this makes sense to me too.  The pigments fish use in their display
> coloration gives some insight into what colors they see, and fish use all
> the colors that we see.

My experiment along these lines involved using a red bulb as a night light
for the fish.  Actually, I guess it was a night light for me, and the fish
weren't supposed to be able to see by it.  However, it was clear that the
fish could see just fine and would react to me when I got near the tank.
There were no other lights on in the room.