Re: stunted growth??

IDMiamiBob@aol.com wrote:

> 1 inch at 5 months is about right.  Apistos don't grow as fast as larger
> cichlids, even Aequidens or Laetacaras.  Bloodworms and a quality flake will
> push growth about as fast as you can expect.  It is possible to get faster
> growth if you keep nitrates and silicates at zero, but even then, the growth
> would not be noticeably better.

I feel one inch in five months is on the low end of normal.  If given
enough tank space, frequent water changes, and if fed amply and often,
dwarf cichlids should grow faster.  I have had Apisto's level off on
their growth rate, but I believe it's from my lack of effort: somewhat
crowded conditions or an underestimation of the amount of food the
growing body mass needs.  (Remember, double the length is eight times
the body mass.)

A friend of mine used to spawn, raise, and sell German Blue Rams (and
later various other dwarves)  He was able to sell his "fry" at over one
inch long within two months!  His technique was to feed them several
times a day with newly hatched baby brine shrimp.  His job allowed him
to be home to feed frequently.  Through frequent trading of his Rams in
larger quantities to a wholesaler, he obtained dozens of sizeable tanks
and equipment for his fish room in a short time.

The point I'm making is that our dwarfs can grow faster if we take the
effort to raise them for growth.  Apparently, frequent and ample feeding
is an important key to maximizing growth.

- --Randy