Typical Newbie Questions

Howdy,

I've recently joined the apisto mailing list and have gained some very insightful
knowledge and I've also learned just how little I know. :)

I come from a long history of community freshwater tanks and as a former worker in
an aquarium store(late 80's) have a decent knowledge of water and fish illnesses,
but I will admit that I am quite ignorant about apisto's.

Ignorant but intrigued :)

So the question at long last.....
I have a new 75 gallon show tank that is standing empty awaiting new fish. I was
wondering if it is possible to mix different species of apistos. I don't plan on
breeding the fish.

Here are my thoughts and I realize that I'm inviting a lot of opinion, but that's
what these mailing lists are all about :)

Heavily planted tank with a medium sized school of dithers for the upper range of
the tank (any suggested species?)

The floor of the tank seperated into very clearly defined teritories(sp) ie. the
Out of site out of mind theory. using large pieces of driftwood, rock, etc.

My tap water is running 7.5 to 7.6 so I know I'll need to do something about that.
For filtration I have purchased a large Eheim canister(thoughts?).

Thanks for being patient with my long-winded monologue.

- - Aaron

http://www.mailexcite.com