Apisto Death

 Len/Geo <> WROTE:<<<<<
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 1997 16:39:33 -0500
Subject: Apisto Death
My female apisto.cacatuoides died yesterday. She had no visible sign of
disease. I did check ammonia, nitrate, nitrite.. all`s fine.  Still have
the male in the same tank.  He stays on the  bottom, hides alot, don`t
see him eating and does have Clamped fins.
Is this some sort of bacterial infection?  Is there anything I can
do?>>>>

Is this fish also breathing heavily? Since water chemistry is OK, and a
second fish is affected, there is probably an infective pathogen around.
It's very unlikely that it is a bacterium: a very common cause for
rapidly fatal diseases are pathogens like the agents of velvet or Ick
(which do not always cause visible white spots). In my opinion, your
best first-line remedy is formalin+malachite green (I saved a several
apisto and laetacara fry with it). The product I am familiar with is
Rid-Ich+ by kordon, at 7 ml/10 gal, on day 1, 4, 7, 10 and water changes
on day 13. Add an airstone, since it will decrease the oxygen levels.
Stay away from antibacterials and poorly designed mixtures of various
drugs, which often just kill the filter and do nothing on the pathogens!
Good luck, and let us know on how it goes.
By the way, have you recently introduced some new fish in that tank?

Dionigi