Re: Cacatuoides ID

Len/Geo wrote:

> Hi
>
> How can one tell the difference between a female cacatuoides double red
> and a triple red?
>
> Thank  You
> George

Ah, the double/triple red question. My opinion is you're lucky to get a
'single red' female when you buy a fancy form commercially. I think some
breeders are making a point of throwing in non-selected or wild-form
females, to maintain prices. Fancy cacatuoides breed like rabbits, but
they're hard to get. I've seen them "orange-out" very quickly - too
quickly when big batches of fry fed live brine shrimp and other
red-enhancing foods don't give a single real red male.
Double or triple reds are stunning, but there's no way to know what
you're getting unless you get your fish from a breeder whom you know,
and who has bred the form for a few generations.
- -Gary