Re: New to list...lotsa Q's...

Jesse Mathies wrote:
> George Barwood wrote:
> >
> > Jesse Mathies wrote:

> > > Also, what be an adequate filter? I've used Aquaclear Minis in the past
> > > and liked them.
> >
> > Fine - stick with what you know. Consider having live plants - these help with water
> > quality, and dwarfs generally like them.
>
> I have a tank full (I mean FULL) of Java Fern I could use.
> About the filter, do I need to consider fry being sucked into the intake
> when purchasing a filter? I've never actually had to deal with fry
> before. Neither my Emperor Tetras nor my clown plecos (these are the
> only two fish I've kept) have spawned.

Well I guess if the current near the intake is appreciable there could be a problem.
On my filter ( Trio 2000 ) there are intake slots all around the box, so the current is
gentle. Also, the mother would suck fry into her mouth and move them if they got too
close to the intake :)

> > > How many of which sexes of which species (whew!) can I keep in the above
> > > mentioned setup? Also, what (if any) would make suitable tankmates?
> >
> > It depends whether you want to breed (which is one reason why they are cool).
> > If so, a single pair would probably be best ( depending on species ).
> > I would recommend Apistogramma cacatuoides.
>

> Thanks for the recommendation. So I should look for 1.1 Apistogramma
> cacatuoides? I've researched these at The Krib. I'll have to see if my
> LFS carries them. If not, are their any others I could consider keeping
> in my 10 gallon?

Ken Laidlaw has already suggested some others. Kribensis are another possibility (which I
haven't kept).  Often it is a matter of what you can find.

> > Small tetras make good tankmates (neons, glowlights).
>
> Are tankmates beneficial to Dwarf Cichlids?

They serve both as dither fish ( in theory makes cichlids less shy ) and as target fish (
when they breed). I don't think they are essential, but the way the parents ( in my case
just the mother, since I took the male out ) protect the fry is entertaining.

The likelihood of a beaten up father may be reduced as well ( I'm not sure about this ).

> btw, what HTH mean? TIA!

Hope This Helps

George