Baensch Books: 1,2,3,4,5

Exciting news about the Baensch Atlas.  As many of you know, books 1-3 have been
released by Tetra.  Books 4 & 5 are only in German.  The author is curently
working somewhere on book 7, 8, or 9 from what I'm told, but the release of the
books will be spaced to maximize anticipation.

Anyway.  Tetra lost its rights to continue publishing the English version, but
some other company will now be publishing it.  I hear these English versions have
updates, are softbound, and cost less than the hard-bound Tetra versions.  Book 4
is scheduled for the first half of this year!

I have the German copies of 4 and 5.  Book 4 has only one Apisto (norberti).
Book 4 is heavy on West African fishes as seen in its coverage of tetras, barbs,
killifishes.  All tropical areas are covered, but apparently the author had
excessive access to W. African imports when the book was being compiled.  Book 5
has about 20 species of Apistos and almost all photos are by Uwe Romer.
Apparently the author had a deal worked out with Romer when that one was being
compiled.

Even more news on Baensch.  A German publisher has published an all-photo book
featuring all fishes from Baesch books 1 through 5.  And all species are indexed
in one index!  The German price translates to about $30 US.  I have passed the
info on to Mike Evans (who is getting the Mayland book into the US this month).
Maybe Mike will be able to bulk order this Baensch composite.

As I know more about these books, I will post on my web site.  I have intentions
of reviewing the Baesch 4 & 5.  (I show their covers on the "exit" link.)  My
announcements are listed at my web site:
http://www.spacestar.net/users/carey/fishroom/
For now, go to "Species List" and then select "Announcements."  (Eventually I'll
move announcements to a more intuitive section.)

- --Randy Carey