Re: Breeding Rams !?!?!?!

Hi Steph,

I have tried breeding Rams a couple of times and not had
success.  Spawns were always eaten and the fish would then
just die off.  Rams are difficult as it is hard to get good
stock but you seem to be heading in the right direction.

Yours though sound like the eggs have not been fertilised
properly as they have turned white.  Ram eggs should start
off a sort of translucent tan colour and as they approach
the hatching stage they will darken.  Some of the eggs will
go white and the parents may pick off the bad ones.  If
fungus were to blame you would see cotton wool like growth
on them not just a white colour.

As to why they are not fertilised may be to do with the
male being too young.  I have read that male fish take
longer to reach sexual maturity than females.  Often fish
require a few attempts to get things right.  Another
possiblilty is that your water is not of the correct
chemistry.  In some fish if the water is too hard the sperm
cannot penitrate the eggs easily but this may not be the
case in Rams which have a long history in the hobby. Or are
your fish direct from the wild? If so they may require that
you copy the very soft water/low pH water from their
habitat.

The eggs probably hatch in about 3 days at 80degF and take
another 4/5 days to become free swimming.  I think from
then on they are easy to raise on brine shrimp/micro-worms.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Ken.

Ken Laidlaw
Royal Observatory, Edinburgh