Re: Breeding Rams !?!?!?!

Mark Westling wrote:

> Since rams are one of those mass-produced fish you see in nearly every fish
> store, I'm guessing that in the strains we see there hasn't been any
> selection for good parenthood characteristics in years.  Has anyone ever
> run across wild caught rams?
>
> --Mark

Hi
I had a nice group of wild rams (til the tedious ice storm - they died
of its after-effects yesterday...). I hadn't spawned them yet, but the
main observation I can pass on is they were way more territorial and
aggressive than any selected forms I've kept. They were downright
cichlid-like. I was expecting fierce broodcare, based on their rowdy
territorial defence against all comers.
My old German blue rams were territorial, but not like my wilds. I was
surprised by their behaviour - it was like having a different species.
They were more like Biotodomo cupido than traditional pet-shop rams.
- -Gary