Re: Belly sliders (was Apisto. Fry`s)

Heather wrote:

<< Belly sliders?  Say what?  Translation please.  <:) >>

Belly sliders are fry that fail to properly develop a swim bladder.  This is
common among kiliies and I gave up on SA annuals because I could not figure
out what was causing it.  It happens to the whole batch, or just a few out of
the batch.  In a bare-bottom tank they will slide along the bottom, dragging
their bellies in the mulm.  They are incapable of resting off the bottom, and
expend a great deal of energy when swimming.  I am findinfg that I should not
siphon fry until they are free-swimming at least three days, maybe even
longer, in order to prevent it.  Moving eggs should be okay, though, as I have
not had the problem when hatching artificially.
I was at Dave Soares' house last February and he had a batch of belly sliders
he was blaming on thermal shock due to using cold water during water changes.

Bob Dixon