Dreaded Newbie Post

New to apistos that is! I have really enjoyed reading this list and am
ready to try and ask a question so here goes:

I picked up a nice group of juvenile A. agassizii (blue) 3 weeks ago. 1
male and 3 females - I figure he's got to like at least one of them! That
OK Wilfred? :) They all seem to get along well with each other and the
serpae tetras and corys. They are also very curious and bold, unlike I was
led to believe they would be.

They are in a 29G tank at 78F with some java ferns, java moss, crypts, a
big log, rocks with hideouts and I'm going to put in 2 flowerpots. I
alternate feeding them frozen brine shrimp, freeze dried bloodworms, little
cichlid pellets and flakes (which the apistos ignore).

My water measures out at pH=6, dH=10, dK=8, which I feel pretty lucky
about. But enough background, here's my question. Do I have a chance of
getting them to spawn without having to reduce the hardness? I have heard
conflicting reports, ranging from "ro/di water and blackwater extract are
required" to "apistos will spawn in almost anything". I'd really like to
give it a go with my tap water if at all possible.

TIA for any help!

- -Doug Brown
debrown@kodak.com