Fwd: Re: Tank Size??

>If you consider extra space for your tanks "wasting" it, you don't care
>for your fish like I care for mine.  I am phasing out my fifteens in
>favor of twenties.  You will have better luck with your fish in larger
>tanks too because, let's face it, it isn't luck.  Try fewer, larger
>tanks and fewer kinds of fish of better quality with a better quality
of
>life.  I know that's easy to say and hard to do but 10's are awful
>small.

I agree.  I've decided not to try to keep everything, as tempting as it
is to do so.  It's hard to keep up maintenance on multiple tanks.  It's
actually a lot better to keep bigger tanks and under-stock the tanks.
When you keep an over-crowded tank, the "inmates" actually just being
kept alive on "life-support" systems.  A power failure can prove
catastrophic.

I've bred apistos in 5 gallon tanks.  The strategy when using these
tanks that is needed is to keep the tank full of java moss or something
else so the fish don't see each other all the time.  Even well-paired
fish may occasionally have domestic discord, and if there is no place
for the sub-dominant fish to hide-out, they're as good as dead.