Re: Problems with wild A. cacatuoides. Ph to low?

Bob wrote:

> So, then, are the standard rules about sex ratios also not applicable f=
or
> cacatuoides and eunotus?  I noticed that the dozen cactuoides fry I
brought
> home from Dave Soares' place came out at a 3:1 male:female ratio.  Thes=
fry
> were born and reared in "typical Apisto" water.  I raised mine in 30ppm=

> hardness, 6.3pH, and had a ratio of nearly 5:1 male over female at 79de=
F.
> Is the traditional view, as reported by Romer, per his extensive tests,=

not to
> be refered to for these "hard water" Peruvians?

Looking at you water parameters and comparing them to Romer's results you=

should have gotten close to 50:50 ratio. Why you didn't get it? I couldn'=
tell you, just like I couldn't tell you if the "hard water" Peruvians are=

subject to Romer's results. Unfortunately his experiments did not go beyo=
nd
a pH of 6.5 but if you compare the results he got at 26 C and 29 C at pH
5.5 you see an increase in the number of males from 62.7% to 83%. If you
look at a 26 C and pH 6.5, his results show a 43.3%. Now, it is safe to s=
ay
that at 26 C and pH 7.0 the ratios would have been a little lower but, wh=
at
if he would have raised the temperature to 29 C (closer to what we found =
A.
cacatuoides at).  Maybe the ratio could've been closer to 50:50. =

Did I make any sense?

Julio Melgar