Re: wild-caught fish -Reply

Ed writes:

<< but such a small fish
> may be beneath the notice of the people who do these endangered species
> lists

There are little critters here in Idaho known as the Bruneau Warm Springs
Snail that are about 50% larger than a pinhead that has been wreaking havoc
with water rights because it is on the list.  Unfortunately, the Endangered
Species list sometimes has more to do with politics than with saving bio-
diversity.

I know that sounds pessimistic, but it is what I am seeing.  Even getting a
fish onto the list doesn't guarantee it will receive the needed effort to save
it.  In the case of Apistos and African killies, the needs of the local
economy will often get a priority over the needs of a species to survive.
Third world countries are not as cooperative as we would like.  The ASG has
expressed interest in species maintenance as one of the group's goals, but I
personally am not aware of what if anything is actually being done at the
organizational level.  I think it will be hobbyists who actually provide for
the survival of these fish, as is being done in the AKA, for the next ten to
twenty years.

Bob Dixon