Re: wild-caught fish -Reply

Bill wrote:

>Hence, practicing good husbandry and keeping distinct population
>separate (or at least identified a distinct populations vs. "sports"), may be
>important, even though the status in the wild is not fully known.
>
>Some folks are put off at first by the long complicated naming conventions
>that the killie folks use.  But it doesn't take long to adapt.  Plus there are
>some very positive benefits, like reduced infertility.
>
>Just my .02

I think it is a smart idea for the hobby to adopt some sort of naming
convention for apisto. color morphs and a species maintenance program.
Maintaining quality bloodlines/identifications is crucial to the long term
sustainability of a strain in the hobby. It's doubtful that aquarium apisto
stocks will ever be required to re-populate lost wild populations. However,
given the unstable nature of the political climate in many south american
countries and the flar flung collecting locales of some species, you never
know when the latest import will be the last. Species conservation for at
least the hobby sake is a worthwhile goal, is there any organization
willing to take the lead in supporting such effort?
- - Steve Waldron