Re: A.nijsseni have stopped feeding

Dionigi,

Thanks for your tips, my A.nijsseni have recovered and are
now eating well.  Here is what I did following your advice.

I treated them with levamisole hydrochloride to try and
purge any internal parasites present.  I also treated with
Octozin (TM) which claims to cure Hexamita.  Metranizadole
or any anti-biotics are not available without prescription
here in the UK.

Thanks for your help, let's hope they have a
successful spawn soon.

Regards,
Ken.

> Ken, bacterial diseases are relatively less likely to manifest
> themselves as lack of appetite only.
> This type of symptom is more typically due to Hexamita
> (Spironucleus) or intestinal worms, and occasionally to
> skin or gill parasites.
> Metronidazole and a broad spectrum de-wormer (flubenol
> for example) would be my first choice, followed by
> formalin+malachite green (for skin and gill protozoans,
>  carefully using the dosages and precautions listed on fish
> health books) if there is no prompt improvement with the former
> two medications.
>

> Dionigi

Ken Laidlaw
Royal Observatory, Edinburgh