wild rams need help

Ron,
I just got back in town so this may be a little late.  I've never
figured out exactly what it is that you are describing but I have seen
it a number of times on wild rams and tetras.  I'm not sure that I've
ever lost anything to it (and I've had it on tetras for over 6 months
before it disappeared on its own) but Ampicillin will clear it up if you
want to medicate the fish.  I usually use Ampicillex from Aquatronics.
Just follow the directions on the package.

Mark