Re: Flowerpots as caves.

>> Steve writes:
>>
>> <Snip>< Place a piece of slate or river stone in the front
>> > opening to make a rock facade. Adjust the aperture of the opening according
>> > to the size of your female (and too small for the male). ><Snip>
>>
>> Well, gee, Steve, how do the males ferilize the eggs if they can't get in
>> there?
>
>By driving his milt into the cave by beating his tail.
>
>Ken.

 Yes, thanks Ken, exactly. I discovered this breeding a large form of
macmasteri. The female would preferentially oviposit in the smallest of
possible niches (e.g. crevices in bogwood). The male positions his vent
over the opening and hovers (and presumably releases milt). After, he will
vigorously tail slap the area, getting a current going through the egg
containing hole. My version (actually Brian Wolinski's) of the incomplete
divider method.
- - Steve Waldron