Re: Micro worms

Leo writes:

<< Micro worms
> I started a micro worm culture 3 days ago using mixed baby cereal as a
> medium. There can be seen a shimmering movement on the surface when viewed
> from a certain angle.The mixture has a slight odour which was not there the
> first day.

The smell is the yeast.  What a lot of people don't know about mivroworm
culturing is that  they don't consume the medium.  They consume the yeast that
consumes the media.  The yeast is introduced along with the microworms in your
"starter culture".

> How do you harvest the worms with out getting some of the cereal? When will
> the culture be ready for harvest.
> Thanks

I always slide my fingers along the inside of the container just above the
medium.  They are ready as soon as you can do that.  I recommend you start a
second culture in about two weeks, and rotate each of them to fresh cultures
once a month.  They will sour and die in about five weeks, unless your
container is really large.

Bob Dixon