Re: Flowerpots as caves.

<<I am going get a couple of dwarf cichlids, and I was wondering how
flowerpots is used as caves. >>

     There are several options. One is as you mentioned, up-side down with a
hole in the side. Rough edges can be smoothed with a file.  It can be laid on
its side,
with the bottom partially buried in the sand/gravel.  Pots can be sawn/broken
in half, and laid on its side to form an arch.
     Many dwarves, especially West Africans such as Pelvicachromis sp.'s, will
dig extensivley.  They will form their own caves by digging under rockwork.  I
have also had larger Apisto's such as A. steindarchneri (SP?) do this.  I
always make sure that rockwork rests solidly on the tank bottom ( not on top
of the gravel) for this very reason.  You wouldn't want your prize female
digging beneath a large rock, and having it slip down and crush her after
she's removed all the supporting gravel. (I've heard of cases where larger
Cichlids were digging around rockwork which tipped over and cracked the glass
side of the aquarium, with predictably disasterous results). Siliconing rock
work together would help from a safety stand point, but would limit future
options.  I just make sure that the rocks are resting on the bottom of the
aquarium  and are in a stable position.
   As to material for pot caves, I have always used regular unglazed pots (
the red clay type that you see everywhere, I'm not sure what the term for them
is).  I have heard of people using the green plastic types, but I couldn't
vouch for their suitability.
    If your fish are shy, you may want the opening of your cave to  be faced
away from the front of the aquarium to give the fish some privacy.  On the
other hand , being able to follow the progress of the spawn is interesting.  A
strategically placed plant, rock, etc. can help.
   Hope this helps, good luck!

Jeff
WndrKdnomo@aol.com