Re: Bad Idea

Thomas wrote:
>Tea helps: Tea is used in breeding as sterilizer as well as softener and acid
>source for lower pH. Additionaly should be added that fresh tea is blamed to be
>agressive and may damage fish -  water must age a little 3 or 4 days. Dosage ???
>(not sure: about 1 cup of tea per 10 L).
>
>Must admit no experiences in it.

In moderation, tea seems about as useful as peat extract- at least any
from an unknown source. The real benefits of peat don't appear to
hinge around water softening, personally I would be cautious about
using tea (or peat) for much softening anyway.

To answer Diongi's concerns. Yes tea does contain the alkaloids
caffeine, theobromine..., but a lot more tannins. After all, tannins
in the amazon derive from the local flora. Plants and insects have
been engaged in all-out chemical warfare in the Amazon for longer than
just about anywhere else, so the fish have learned to live with much
of the fallout. Leaves there are a biochemists dream- absolutely
loaded with alkaloids and similar nasties- yes caffeine too. We
cultivate tea mostly because its a helluva lot easier to propagate
than say guarana. If you have concerns (A very wise thing to possess)
look up caffeine in a toxicological reference. I recommend 'Sax's haz.
props of ...' . Basically its -very- toxic to mammals, way up there
with other pesticides, but the fish 24hr LC50's aren't quite as low as
you might expect. Also check out the caffeine FAQ for raw
concentrations and work from there. Don't go adding coca-cola to your
tank, then again you probably shouldn't drink it either <g>.

In my -limited- experience with tea ( I roughly add enough to tint the
water, no science involved! ), you can expect hardier fish (lower
microbe levels I guess), hightened coloration, aggression, and
increased mating behavior. Which factors are causing the others I
havn't a clue, but the effect is similar to good old peat. My tetras
and Borellis seem to love it. Tea's easy to obtain, easy to extract
the tannin from, and provides an appealing, natural tint. YMMV, do be
cautious, but don't write tea off just yet.

Tea and mosquito larvae have given me a small batch of cardinal fry.
With luck I won't loose them this time <g>.

Toado.