Re: Apisto. retzei

Hello Nick. Nice of you to join the list It seems A.borelli is a very
popular topic on the list. The fish you have is Apistogramma borelli.
In the old litreture it was called retzgi. Not all of the exporters
and Importers we deal with are experts at nomenclature, so sometimes
we have to do our own investigating. Give us a description of the fish
you have it may not even be A.borelli and they used that name because
they just did not know.

David sanchez

- ---Nick Engels  wrote:

> I just joined this list today so here is a little about me.  I own a
LFS
> in Tacoma Washington as a hobby.  I work nights at a good paying job
> pay my bills so I can do what I really enjoy (breeding fish and
talking
> to people about fish).  I have been raising and breeding different
types
> of fish for about 27 years.  I have about 20 tanks in my "back room"
for
> MY fish that I am working on spawning.  I recently received about 12
> fish that were called Apisto. retzei by the shipper in Florida.  Has
> anyone heard of these or is it a misnamed fish by the suppier?  I am
> looking for water conditions and breeding prefs of these fish.  They
are
> VERY interesting, they were building "nests" out of decayed plant
matter
> and guarding these quite well in their original 55 that they shared
with
> about 15-20 swordtails and some ottos.  I have since moved 8 of them
> a 15 gal with some slate caves/pvc which they seem to like very much.
>
> any info would be appreciated
> thanks in advance
> Nick
> snubber@sprynet.com