Re: My first apisto photos

- --------------06CC742FFD400185188B56F2

Thomas,

I hate to "put a fly in the ointment" but it's possible that you fish could be A.
roraimae.  I know that Kullander had synonymized it with A. gibbiceps several
years ago, but it's now back on his list as a valid species.  As far as I know
nothing new has been described on A. roraimae, although additional collections
have been taken from around Boa Vista, the type locality of A. roraimae on the
Rio Branco.

Koslowski states in his book that there are two forms of A. gibbiceps.  The type
specimens have longitudinal stripes running through the tail and long anterior
dorsal fin extensions.  It is a difficult species to breed, requiring extremely
soft and acid water.  The other form, which he calls A. cf. gibbiceps has faint
vertical barring in the middle of the tail, lower dorsal fin extensions, and much
easier to breed - even in neutral water conditions.  The holotype of A. roraimae
(a female) shows faint vertical barring in the tail.  Being from the Rio Branco,
a clear water river, its likely that A. roraimae doesn't require the black water
needed by A. gibbiceps to spawn.  Could Koslowski's A. cf. gibbiceps be A.
roraimae?  I don't know.  But what ever it is, your fish belongs in the
gibbiceps-complex.

Mike Wise

Thomas Soelter wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> i've made a few snapshots of my apistos. Three of them are already
> scanned and available on the net. Oooh I've got to learn a lot on making
> good photos and scans.
>
> My stray apisto is amongst them. Is it A. gibbiceps ?
>
>  http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Thomas.Soelter/gibbicep.jpg : Male
>  http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Thomas.Soelter/gibbi_f.jpg   :
> Female
>
> my red aggi - male
>
>  http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Thomas.Soelter/agasiz.jpg

- --------------06CC742FFD400185188B56F2

<HTML>
Thomas,

<P>I hate to "put a fly in the ointment" but it's possible that you fish
could be <I>A. roraimae</I>.&nbsp; I know that Kullander had synonymized
it with <I>A. gibbiceps</I> several years ago, but it's now back on his
list as a valid species.&nbsp; As far as I know nothing new has been described
on <I>A. roraimae, </I>although additional collections have been taken
from around Boa Vista, the type locality of <I>A. roraimae</I> on the Rio
Branco.

<P>Koslowski states in his book that there are two forms of <I>A. gibbiceps.</I>&nbsp;
The type specimens have longitudinal stripes running through the tail and
long anterior dorsal fin extensions.&nbsp; It is a difficult species to
breed, requiring extremely soft and acid water.&nbsp; The other form, which
he calls <I>A. cf. gibbiceps</I> has faint vertical barring in the middle
of the tail, lower dorsal fin extensions, and much easier to breed - even
in neutral water conditions.&nbsp; The holotype of <I>A. roraimae</I> (a
female) shows faint vertical barring in the tail.&nbsp; Being from the
Rio Branco, a clear water river, its likely that <I>A. roraimae</I> doesn't
require the black water needed by <I>A. gibbiceps</I> to spawn.&nbsp; Could
Koslowski's <I>A. cf. gibbiceps</I> be <I>A. roraimae</I>?&nbsp; I don't
know.&nbsp; But what ever it is, your fish belongs in the gibbiceps-complex.

<P>Mike Wise

<P>Thomas Soelter wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Hi folks,

<P>i've made a few snapshots of my apistos. Three of them are already
<BR>scanned and available on the net. Oooh I've got to learn a lot on making
<BR>good photos and scans.

<P>My stray apisto is amongst them. Is it A. gibbiceps ?

<P>&nbsp;<A HREF="http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Thomas.Soelter/gibbicep.jpg">http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Thomas.Soelter/gibbicep.jpg</A>
: Male
<BR>&nbsp;<A HREF="http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Thomas.Soelter/gibbi_f.jpg">http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Thomas.Soelter/gibbi_f.jpg</A>&nbsp;&nbsp;
:
<BR>Female

<P>my red aggi - male

<P>&nbsp;<A HREF="http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Thomas.Soelter/agasiz.jpg">http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/Thomas.Soelter/agasiz.jpg</A>

<BR>Search <A HREF="http://altavista.digital.com">http://altavista.digital.com</A>
for "Apistogramma Mailing List Archives"!</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

- --------------06CC742FFD400185188B56F2--