Re: Rick::Shopping in Montreal

RKRAFTY wrote:

> Diane,
> I live in Merrimack and belong to the Boston Aquarium Society.  I go to the
> Rhode Island periodically for their meetings.  They have better fish (diff.
> species of fish).  I have never bought fish in Canada and transported them
> over.  Maybe I am wrong in doing this but I would probably just buy the fish
> and bring them over the border like I would T-Shirts.
> Rick

Hi Rick and Diane,
I've often done it the other way, or carried fish to the US of A for
trades. I tell the Customs guys what I have, emphasizing it's worthless
if it's a trade, and showing the bill if it wasn't.
I once hit a keen summer student guard who made a friend and I wait for
two hours while she rifled through CITES lists. It never occurred to her
that had I been smuggling endangered species for some reason (which I'd
never do...), I would have lied about their name. That was my only
problem, and it was just a delay.
Don't bring plants and be honest. generally, you'll get an arched
eyebrow at being a grownup who buys fish. That's all.
- -Gary (Montreal)