Re: Conductivity

Randy writes:

<<  He further argues that many "problem" fishes
> don't spawn in water despite the correct pH.  However he has been able
> to get many of them to spawn by adjust the conductivity to the desired
> parameters. >>

I would think, based on my own experience, that while low conductivity is
critical, many "blackwater" species will prefer water with low pH and lots of
dissolved organic tannins, over water which is low in conductivity, and
therefore low in the properties which are found in blackwater aquifers.
Softening water will reduce conductivity, and hardness can be easier to
measure for those of us with tight funds for our meager involvement in the
hobby.

Bob Dixon