Re: Cross Breeding In Apistos

Steve,

I can't tell you much as I'm a novice to this hobby. The most I could find out is
that the collector lives in Venezuela,
the fish were collected from the Laguna Provincial in Puerto Ayacucho, Venezuela.
The thought that the fish are in the
Hongsloi genus comes from the locale of collection, and the bright yellow coloration
the male has on his head back past the
gill plate. The male has a very large dorsal that extends almost to the end of the
tail, the anal fins are the same length,
the pectoral fins are sky blue, there is also a red caudal spot and some red under
the abdomen by the anal fins. They also
have very small, pointed mouths.The female was a dull grey until she went into brood
colors(she has not lost them yet).
The female is a very bright yellow with ablack checkerboard pattern on the sides.
These fish have turned out to be very
prolific spawners as well as showing admirable parental care. I have been following
the lfs formula for water and temp.
The water is 1 dgh, 1dkh, 6.0-6.5 ph, 82 degrees Fah., heavily planted tank with
lots of african root wood.(this wood is very
dense and decomposes really slow). The tank mates include a pair of A. Iniridae and
four Otto cats(used to have A. Macmasteri,
but thats another thread). The tank they are living in, a 70 gal show, was going to
be my community tank, but has turned out
to be the largest nursery I've seen yet. I get a lot of ribbing for this. I was told
the Whittley's would do best in a
20 gal. breeder by themselves. If they do any better than now I am in trouble. You
know how the wives get about new tanks!
I don't have access to the proper photography tools to get a decent picture yet,
still looking. Please excuse the terminology,
I hope I have helped. I would love to trade for some Apistogramma Opal Borreli's or
Trifasciata, or even some Pelvicachromis
Taeniatus or Humilis. Sounds like big hopes to me, but you never know.

Tim