Thoughts on SMP

It seems to me that with all the species of dwarf cichlids out there, and all
the color-morphs, it will take everyone we can find to get as many fish as
possible included in the program.

Further, some definitions are probably a good idea.  For example, "Color-
morph".  We pretty much all understand this concept.  Is it the same as a
"population", as is often used when discussing killies?  Or would a group of
fish in someone's tank need to be identified by geographical location of the
original fish's collection site?

I think that getting a given fish into a position where it can be assured of
being kept in the hobby for the forseeable future, it would require at least
three people in diverse locations being listed as "keepers" (again, define
what term we will use to refer to those volunteers who have agreed to keep a
given fish for a while).  This would prevent the loss of that fish should a
natural disaster occur, like the Great Whiteout of 98 that many of you folks
in the Northeast went through last winter.  I hope your fishrooms have
recovered.  Let us come with terms like "open" and "covered" to describe which
fish meet or don't meet this level of coverage.

Also, would it be a good idea for the "Keepers" (I'll use that term until
someone comes up with a better one) to swap a male or female once in a while
to avoid the problems that sometimes occur in line-bred livestock.  I've seen
a lot of guppy programs bite the bullet due to excess inbreeding.  I wouldn't
want that to happen to our Apistos and other dwarves.  Would every year be a
good interval?

As far as fixing prices, that is good for the rest of us, but not necessarrily
fair to the Keepers.

Just my thoughts.
Bob Dixon.