Re: Apistogramma borelli

In a message dated 5/19/98 8:11:44 PM EST, gomberg@wcf.com writes:

<<  My water has a very high buffering capacity, which I think is from
 >dissolved carbonate.

> I am taking this to mean that your water is a lot like pure water with a
> bunch of sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) added.   If that is what you mean,
> just add a little of a strong acid (dilute muriatic acid down 100 to 1,
> then use a little) and that will cause:

>    NaHCO3+HCl->NaCl+H2CO3->NaCl+H2O+CO2

> so that you end up with the effect of a little table salt (NaCl) and CO2
> which bubbles off (stir vigorously).   Now if you use this treated water in
> your tank (after testing that the pH is 6.5 or so) your basic water problem
> should disappear.  If you are going to treat with peat, only use the dilute
 HCl down to 7.0 and then use the peat to lower the pH further.  HTH.   Dave

Slick.  But I'm not sure it's SODIUM bicarbonate.  Except I'm sure it isn't
anything divalent like Ca or Mg, which would show on your basic hardness test.
Can I test it somehow before I start, or is it just unlikely to be anything
else?  In which case it's worth a try.

And does carbonate hardness have a negative effect on softwater fish like the
non-carbonate hardness?

Bob Dixon