Re: Apistogramma Sp. Whittleyi

If your male "Whittleyi" has long extensions at the posterior (soft-rayed)
portions of the dorsal & anal fins, then it's not A. sp. Breitbinden, which has
very short soft ray extension.

I didn't keep your description of the fish, but as I recall it sounded like you
were describing the Rotstrich (Red-streak) form of A. hongsloi.  A color form of
A. sp. Breitbinden does come from the same area (around Puerto Ayacucho,
Venezuela) called A. sp. Caņo Morrocoy.  There is a photo of it in Linke &
Staeck's new 5th edition of their book (in German only).