Re: Apistogramma incognita

Doug Brown is correct.  It is Apistogramma sp. Rotpunkt.  If the lighting is
correct and the male is actually this yellow instead of having a bluish cast then
it's A. sp. Rotpunkt (Puerto Narino).  Your male shows the name sake red spots
behind the gill cover on the flanks.  Your female looks like a macmasteri-group
female but doesn't have the diagnostic ventral patch found on all
macmasteri-group females.  The Rotpunkt Apisto exhibits features intermediate
between the regani-group and the macmasteri-group.  It's what I call a "bridge
species" between the two groups.  These fish have been collected in the Colombian
Amazon (Rio Caquetá) and Colombian Orinoco (uppermost Rio Guaviare, I think)
along the foot hills of the Andes.  This area is intermediate between areas
inhabited by regani-group species (eunotus-complex) and the macmasteri-group.
All of the various color forms (Rotpunkt (Red-spot/point), Schwarzsaum
(Black-edged/fringed/rimmed), Puerto Narino, and Blue-cheek) are white water
species that readily breed even in slightly alkaline, moderately hard water.
Males are highly polygamous and "sneeker males" are common.  I even had a male
take on the female's brood colors and pattern and join the female in guarding
fry.  I thought it was two females tending the fry, but they never succeeded in
raising any of them.  That's when I realized that I had a male in females
clothing.  The Rotpunkt apisto is very common in the hobby and makes an excellent
beginners fish.

Mike Wise