RE: Classification (was Panduro) -Reply

While genetically 'close', swords/platies do interbreed--but there are
problems with all forms breeding due to the different 'hooks' on the
male gonopodium, the social nature of the event--side to side, sneak
attack from the rear, etc, which requires gender cooporation. Same with
gambusia (which, for most people, look alike).
With cichlids, sperm and eggs are external, so while it is still a
social issue of cooperation, the issues of fertility and genetic
compatibility are much more important--until you see what was done with
the Parrot Cichlid (fortunately not fertile).
While there hybrids in nature (umm, species flocks of Victoria, some of
the fish in Nicaragua), they are relatively rare in nature unless there
are popoulation issues; i.e., nobody else to play with. And with
cichlids, the courting is so very important to establish the bond, and
Apiso's are finicky--and one tail twich may mean something else
entirely, so it may be more difficult, overall--but by crossing some of
fish, who know, we might something really stuning (like we don't already
have)...
My two dinari worth.