bbs and science

Hi all,

I just wanted to warn you about bbs. A few years ago I started breeding and
I had some fry of my angelfish. So I needed to hatch bbs. I bought eggs at
the local, trustworthy, petshop and started. I did everything right , but
they didn't hatch at all. Apparently, these eggs had been in the store for
God knows how long and had lost their 'live' (sorry, I know what I want to
say in Dutch, but I guess not many of you will understand). The fry died of
hunger. So watch out for really old eggs, the results decrease with age.
When I got fresh eggs, at first I was measuring everything to the milligram.
After a while I got sloppy and I have to say that bbs are not very
(understatement) sensitive.

Dear Mike (Wise),

I like to hear you talk about splitters and clumpers! I also know this from
paleontology (I study geology) and this always gives nice discussions. You
must really be into the scientific publications. It is however a really
important discussion. Where do you draw the line when there are fluent
transitions from one species to the other? This is an important thing to
remember, names are not at all absolute as they may appear in books, but are
extremely relative. In most cases, a cf. or aff. is probably advisable.
However, if my memory serves me well, cf. means: 'looking like species A,
but certainly not species A'.

cheers,
Hans