Re: Sponge filter

Jason writes:
<< Do our lovely apistos mind a slight current, or does anyone have any
 suggestions on how to slow it down (I have the outlet pointing into the
glass) >>

Sorry for this late response.  I keep playing egghead because I'm to cheap to
take my pooter to the shop.  It usually leads to some sort of down time, this
event a weeks' worth.

In the early eighties, the conventional wisdom among members of the ASG was to
run a UGF or sponge filter with only 10-20 bubbles per minute in a small
uplift tube.  For a pair of breeders in a ten or fifteen gallon tank, this was
adequate filtration to keep ammonia at a minimum.

To reduce the current from a powerhead, I have had some luck with PVC and a
little silicone.  I get some PVC pipe that matches the close enough to the
output that I can slide the center opening on a Tee over the output of
thepowerhead.  I drill small holes in the pipe and run it out both ends of the
Tee.  The silicone holds the whole thing in place, and also allows me to plug
off the opposite ends of the pipe.  I can point the holes toward the back
glass and downward to reduce surface agitation and to reduce the current
effect.

Another option is to install a UGF plate under the substrate and feed the
output of the powerhead down into the gravel.  Effective current this way is
just about where even the most sensitive Apistos won't even notice.

Because of the large surface area of the intake in these arrangements, the
current near the sponge can be negligible.  If you feel there is still too
much in this reagion of the tank, increase the sponge size.

Bob Dixon