RE: newbie needs help -Reply -Reply

You are right that there is not much in the way of apistos at the Shedd
right now, only one A agazazi.  That will change in the future.  We are
opening a large amazon exhibit in 2000.  At that time I hope that many
of our smaller tanks will contain apistos as well as other dwarf
cichlids.  My interest in apistos is professional and personal.  I
quarantine all the new fish so like to know as much as I can for that
reason, and hope to work in the new amazon exhibit.  I am also one of
those obsessed people that takes there work home with them.  There I
keep A gephyra, D filamentosus, and what is supposed to be A hoignei
(pretty sure it isn't though).

I just wanted to take the time to say that although I appreciate that
some people think it is cool to have a 'professional' among them, I am
here to learn from hobbyists.  Hard core hobbyists usually know as much
as or more than professionals, and most professionals started like all
of you and decided making a decent living wasn't that important :).  I
would really like to see more contact between professional organizations
and hobbyists.

Enough ranting,

Erica