Wounded gourami

Guillaume_Hervieu wrote: <<<<
Another story: besides apistos, I have a blue gourami that becomes more
and
more wounded. First it began with wounds on its skin as if it was
getting
hurt on sharp rocks (it liked to be in caverns and there is some
competition between fish to get there ). This has been going now for a
few
months.
I was away for 2 weeks and there are now holes in the gills and this is
bloody red. Also skin gets away on its left face side. It seems that it
will reach the eye. Bloody holes get now bigger and bigger as if the
process was accelerating. I really don't think that it has sthg to do
with
mouth fungus.
The fish however does not seem to be troubled so far.  Of course that's
my
best fish friend and my longest one...But at that stage, I don't see how
he
can recover.
I was thinking of fish tuberculosis (I read that it was 'common' in
ananbatidaes)? So far I have done a phenoxyethanol treatment but it does
not seem to help (3 days of continuous bath @ 0.1g/l). I am now thinking
of
an oxytetracycline treatment? >>>>>>>>

If you really think in terms of fish tuberculosis, you better
destroy the fish ASAP, since it can infect humans too and
it is totally unrealistic to expect to treat TB in aquarium
setting (long and complex therapies are needed).
There is a lot of variability, but TB often causes weight loss,
dropsy and slow progressing, not inflamed skin ulcers.
If the lesions you see appear bloody, it may be another type
of bacterial infection, which can be treated successfully with
antibiotics like Furanace, if used as directed on the box.
Many of the "good for everything" antibiotics commonly sold in
aquarium stores will however be useless.
I assume you have ruled out water quality as a problem:
if not, check first for ammonia and pH.

Dionigi Maladorno
dionigi.maladorno@roche.com
This message presents personal opinions which are not necessarily those
of my employer.