admin announcement

Ahem, your list admin here.

Some people have been wondering, or even been "ticked off" about why
they lose their s*u*b*s*c*r*i*p*tions without notice. Despite
appearances there is always a reason. Here are some reasons

        [1] your mail box gets full
        [2] your provider's email configuration is faulty
        [3] your provider mistakenly thinks that our email list or listbox.com
            is a spam or spamming domain

Eg recently, [1] "parkbear", [2] "Ken", [3] "several others"
N.B. I don't attach blame to anyone for any of these reasons, esp. not
the people mentioned above, or Mr "ticked off".

Each case produces one error message back to me PER MESSAGE SENT TO THE
LIST, and you can understand that this can result in say 50 error
messages a day given the list volume and probability that someone on
the list is having problems at any one time.  Which amounts to a whole
lot of work, so I uns*u*b*s*c*r*i*b*e people soon as possible when that
happens. I don't want to uns*u*b*s*c*r*i*b*e people, expecially when
I know they are active participants in the list.

In cases [1] and [2] obviously, I can't contact the person because
given that their mailbox is full or their email config is out of whack,
the mail will just bounce back to me. In case [3], frankly, I have
tried convincing sites that I am not spamming, but it will often be
useless. So I don't try anymore.

SOLUTION:  But remember that as soon as you think you may be
u*n*s*u*b*s*c*r*i*b*ed, or sooner, just res*u*b*s*c*r*i*b*e yourself! If
you are already on the list, no harm will be done, and if you are off,
you'll get back on.

I don't have any software tools to help me keep track of unsubscriptions.
Otherwise service might be better.

Frank O'Carroll
Tokyo