Re: A. sp "four stripes"

Mayalauren@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/6/98 1:59:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> apistowise@bewellnet.com writes:
>
> > Sounds like A. sp. Vierstreifen (Four-stripes) to me. As Helen mentioned
> >  Aqualog's SA Cichlids II has photos of an older female on p.61 and a nice
> > male on
> >  p.62.
>
>  Mike,
> is that male one 61 correctly id, or do you just prefer the male on 62...just
> wondering.

It's hard to tell. The fish is angled oddly so it's hard to see if it really has
abdominal stripes.

> While I'm here...pp36 top right hand corner S03525-4. I always understood that
> A.gephyra had only a slightly lancelote tail...

This is a very old male. Notice the massive, but poorly toned body and slight
nuchal hump? At this age A. gephyra tend to get longer extensions on the unpaired
fins. It looks like it has a lace pattern in the upper lobe of the caudal but it's
hard to see. It's probably the same form as the one on the bottom right of the
same page (S03530-4).

Mike Wise