Re: red tail Rio Xingu

Jason,

I got this species from Marco Lacerda at the 1997 ACA Convention in
Chicago.
They spawned for me within a month of getting them home under conditions
similar to Helen's. I, too, find the female an exceptional parent, even
to having two spawns in the same tank (18X16X10 in.) at the same time.
Marco & I have an article on this species coming out soon in the
Buntbarsche Bulletin.

One thing I would definitely change is feeding black worms. No matter
what people claim, they are a tubificid worm that needs an organic rich
environment to
live in. There is always a chance of bringing in diseases since they
can't be
totally cleaned out. I can't tell you the number of times I've had
people call or
write me about their apistos coming down with something nasty after
feeding black worms. There are so many other good live foods out there.
No one needs red or black tubifex. I'd substitute chopped earthworms or
white/grindal worms for them. They may take a little more effort to
cultivate, but in the long run they
are a whole lot less expensive to feed and a lot safer for your fish.

Mike Wise

I sent this message out yesterday but didn't see it go through, so I'm
sending it again.