Re: mixing water

<<  I consider a fish bred only when it produces viable fry that can
 grow to maturity. If they spawn and only produce eggs or non-viable fry, I
 consider this spawning not breeding. So from my why of thinking you didn't
breed
 checkerboards until they were placed in soft water >>

Hi Mike

I agree totally but my point was that of the 50 or so species of black water
fish I have been successful with, only a handful have needed to have soft
water. I feel I do more harm when I try to alter the conditions due to my own
laziness at monitoring the potentially rapidly changing conditions. Case in
point, when the D. filamentosus spawned successfully the pH had dropped to
3.5, I was surprised they still had fins.

Tom W.