Re: complexes and groups

>Actually, these subdivisions vary depending on the author and the purpose for
>which the grouping is used. Römer and Linke & Staeck, for example, use the term
>"complex" to refer to a grouping of species that display characteristics that
>indicate an origin from a single ancestor. This is the definition of a true
>species-complex. Römer actually subdivides some of his species-complex into two
>sub-complexes (cacatuoides- & nijsseni-sub-complexes, for example). The problem
>with using their complexes to ID fish is that many species can't be organized
>into a monophyletic species-complexes. Their origins just aren't well enough
>known. To my knowledge none of the authors has done any cladistic breakdown on
>the entire genus.

[rest of explanation deleted]

ah, okay. it was beginning to appear as if there were two "camps" (so to
 speak) as far as this complex/sub-complex and group/complex thing
 goes. i think ive got it straight now as far as which is more id-related
 and which is more cladistic...

>As several people have mentioned, I have an article running in the ASG's
>Apisto-Gram that describes the various groups/complexes used for IDing apistos.
>It started in issue #53, continues in #56 and will continue in the next issue.
>Unfortunately, this article is a bit dated (I wrote it 2 years ago). I sent an
>updated version to the ASG's web master this week. He plans on placing it
>on the
>ASG's web page sometime in the future. It will be published with a list of
>apisto
>species names (presently over 150!), listing references, groupings, and
>distribution. Until this is published on the ASG web page, ASG members
>interested
>in the updated paper (81Kb) or species lists (either alphabetical order
>(106 Kb &
>more detailed or by species-group 246 Kb) can contact me. Until then it's
>not for
>open publication.

well... one more log on the "join the asg" fire...

thanks!

-joel

>> just a quick question on this - out of sheer curiousity, is this
>>  cladistic breakdown laid out in one of the newer books (only
>>  dwarf book ive got right now is linke/staeke)? just curious
>>  if perhaps theres a listing of the breakdown online somewhere...

==
joel metz :: magpie@echo.com :: www.echo.com/~magpie
bike messengers worldwide :: ifbma :: www.messengers.org
po box 191443 san francisco ca 94119-1443 usa
==
i know what innocence looks like - and it wasn't there, after she got that
bicycle...